Thursday, September 6, 2007

Back to school for the boys -

means back to knitting for me.

School started on Tuesday and we are getting settled in to our school routines. That also means that I can get a little bit more knitting done during the day if Ellen takes a midday nap. And it also means I can work on something bigger than a sock because I can knit for more than 5 minutes uninterrupted. To "celebrate" this I cast on for the Tangled Yoke Cardigan by Eunny Jang from the Fall 2007 Interweave Knits.


I am using yarn that my husband had bought in Ireland during a layover there last year. I had started knitting a sweater for Thomas but felt that the yarn was too nice for a boy sweater and so ripped it. The yarn is called Luxury Tweed and a blend of wool, alpaca, acrylic and viscose. It is not quite so dark as in the picture, more of a charcoal color with specks of colors throughout. Now I only hope I have enough yarn. I keep my fingers crossed.

I finished the scarf from Victorian Lace Today but didn't do a very good blocking job and so I am re-blocking it. When that is finished it will go to a friend who had given me a lot of hand-me downs for Ellen. I have another skein of this yarn and as I mentioned before didn't enjoy knitting with it. The scarf has a very nice drape and feel though and so I think I will hold onto the yarn and make another one (just not so soon).

In early summer some vines sprouted in the garden, and I let them grow wondering what I would get. I got a lot of these beauties

and now I am getting a lot of these


So far I have "harvested" at least 25 of these gourds and there are lots more. I had bought some last fall at the farmer's market and when they didn't look good anymore I tossed them into the compost.

I always try to have sunflowers in my garden. Last year I had some very tall ones. But this year I wasn't very lucky. The ones that are there are very beautiful though.

No comments: